Asset Management in Manufacturing Industry
The purpose of Asset Management in a manufacturing environment is two-fold.
- Firstly ensuring all of the physical assets relating to the production process; including the production line equipment and the associated facilities, are operating in a safe controlled environment in accordance with the required industry, national and international standards.
- Secondly ensuring that the production line can maximise its productivity by eliminating unplanned maintenance, and scheduling the required maintenance as efficiently as possible.
Many manufacturing companies who make complex assets, also offer maintenance services to the customers they have sold the manufactured items to. In this case asset management is about ensuring that the assets under maintenance perform according to the agreement in place with the customer.
Manufacturing Industry Challenges
The term ‘Manufacturing Industry’ covers a wide range of very diverse processes in numerous sub-sections (e.g. pulp and paper, vehicle manufacturing, food processing, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, mining and steel etc.). Each of these sub-sections will have some challenges that are unique, but there are equally a number of common themes that run across the industry as a whole. These include:
- Maximising productive output and maintaining product quality whilst minimising breakdowns (i.e. maximising OEE – overall equipment effectiveness)
- Minimising the stock of spare parts kept for maintenance purposes
- Managing appropriate maintenance strategies for when the plant is operating at full capacity and for when the plant can afford to have equipment out of production.
- Maintaining a safe work environment
- Making effective use of ‘planned outages’
- Maximising Labour productivity
- Recording the direct and indirect costs associated with maintenance activity
MACS Manufacturing Customers
MACS Customers in manufacturing range from manufacturing carpets to cardboard boxes, from pharmaceuticals to ceramic tiles and from aluminium extrusion to confectionary. Each has a Maximo system configured to suit their own individual needs, but delivering value through best practice asset management processes.
Find out more
Find out how IBM Maximo helps Perfetti deliver first class maintenance at their production plants. Download the case: Perfetti Van Melle: Maximo sweetens labour
A MACS client for many years, Cargill uses Maximo Asset Management for their maintenance. Contact us today to find out more.
Boortmalt implemented IBM Maximo and uses Maximo Asset Management for their maintenance across 9 sites. Contact us today to find out more.
Lakeside EFW implemented IBM Maximo and uses Maximo Asset Management for their maintenance. Contact us today to find out more.
- Asset Register
- Preventive Maintenance
- Work Order Management
- Inventory Control
- Service and Contract Management